Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Space Beneath


To create an area beneath the base to allow for running wires to switches and future lighting, I cut scraps of the foam board to make a 2" wide grid on the bottom surface. This was another learning experience. I tried several cutting tools including a carpet knife and a hacksaw blade. A sharp kitchen knife gave the smoothest cut but still not as smooth as I would have liked.
Eventually the base will be sided with some sort of trim so that none of the styrofoam of the base and grid will be visible. (If I ever attempt another layout or other project using foam board, I would probably invest in a modest hot wire styrofoam cutter to get smoother cuts.)
I used T pins to hold the grid in place until the adhesive had time to dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment